8th February (8.45am): SDC Virtual Event, What is an Apprenticeship?
8th February (1.30pm): SDC Virtual Event, How to find an Apprenticeship?
Exeter College Showcase 20th April 2021: 4-7pm
9th February (8.45am): SDC Virtual Event, Available Apprenticeships
9th February (1.30pm): SDC Virtual Event, What is an Apprenticeship?
Careers in the Curriculum
Careers Education is part of the curriculum in all Year groups and is delivered in PSHE lessons and during Registration. In Year 11 the main modules are:
Building for the Future
- Self-efficacy, stress management and future opportunities.
- Application processes, skills for further education and employment and career progression.
Communication in Relationships
- Personal values and assertive communication.
- Independence and responsibilities.
For an informative PowerPoint regarding Options, both Post 16 and Post 18, please click the link below:Powerpoint (Post 16 Options)
Below is a table of activities which will be delivered to Year 11 students during the 2020/2021 Academic Year.
After Year 11
When it comes to choosing your options it can be a worrying time, particularly if you feel unsure about your career choices. The best thing to do is to stick with subjects that you enjoy and perform well in; as these are the ones which you are most likely to achieve your best grades in. Many careers now require a degree and to be able to access a suitable degree course pupils need to achieve particular GCSEs/ A Levels and grades.
Whether you have a clear idea about your future career or you do not yet know which route to take, during Year 11 you can explore your career ideas and make some important decisions about your future education, training or employment. For an informative PowerPoint about life after Year 11 click on the link below:
Your main options after Year 11 are:
- To continue your education full time, either at school or college.
- To continue your learning through an Apprenticeship or other work-based learning programmes.
- To find a job, hopefully one in which you will be able to continue your learning.
You can use the buttons on this route planner to find out more information about your future plans and aspirations.
And remember, everybody is different; do not just pick what your friends have chosen. Choose the option which is best for you and your own future.
There are various open evenings that you can attend to help with the decision making process and the dates of these are stated below. You do not need to book, you can just turn up at the stated times.
- SDC Open Evening: Wednesday, 20th January 2021 4pm – 7pm
- Exeter College Open Evening: Tuesday, 19 January 2021 5pm – 7pm
- Exeter College Showcase: Tuesday, 20 April 2021 4pm – 7pm
- Churston 6th Form Open Evening: Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Torquay Girls 6th Form Taster day: Wednesday, 2nd December 2020
Armed Forces Briefing: Harrogate virtual open day – 9th December 2020 6.00pm
Applications can be completed online or if you would prefer a paper copy please request one from the Careers Office.
- You may need to attend interviews with the Course Tutor.
- You will receive a letter with a course offer you will need to ensure that you meet the grades stated to secure your place.
- On results day you must contact the place that you wish to study at and provide them with a copy of your results.