Hairdressers cut, style and colour clients’ hair to create the look they want.
You could get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
You can take a Level 2 or 3 Diploma in Hairdressing.
You may be able to combine these courses with other subjects like beauty therapy, make-up and nails.
You’ll usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You can do an intermediate or advanced creative hair professional apprenticeship.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
Work: you may be able start work as a trainee hairdresser in a salon and learn on the job. Your employer would expect you to take qualifications part-time, either at a college or in their own training school.
You’ll need the following skills:
- customer service skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to work well with others
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to work well with your hands
- active listening skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As a junior hairdresser, you’ll:
- welcome customers
- shampoo and condition hair
- cut simple styles
- make sure towels and hair products are well stocked
- keep the salon clean and tidy
- make appointments
As a more senior hairdresser, you’ll:
- talk to clients about what they want
- suggest style ideas
- cut and style hair
- colour, curl or straighten hair
- give advice on minor hair and scalp problems
- take payments
- order stock and promote products to customers
- keep up to date with new trends, techniques and hair products
The following salaries are a guide only:
- Starter: £14,000
- Experienced: £30,000
- You could work in a salon, at a client’s home, at a health spa, at a store, at an adult care home or on a cruise ship.
- Your working environment may be physically demanding.